A Make Up Only Beauty Box! Starbox

I've been wanging on for forever and a day saying how great a make up only beauty box would be - whyyyy has it not been done?! Then lo and behold, I recently stumbled upon Starbox - which is exactly that. The only difference from the box in my head is that Starbox contains only their own brand of make up, Starlooks, but even so - it's a great way to try new products you wouldn't usually lean towards - colour, finish and formula-wise.

Starbox offer a monthly subscription for $15 - yes, it's an American company - shipping within the states is $2.68, but they do ship internationally - you have to contact them for a quote for anything outside of USA.

As in the Birchbox's and Glossybox's - what's coming each month is left as a surprise, but if you want a sneak peek, you can view the 'lookbook' for that month on their website - which is photos of a model wearing the make up.

I was sent the February box, which is a collaboration with one of their affiliates, Lauren Clark, who is a make up artist. The box itself is cute, the fact it's a lot thinner than the empty beauty boxes taking over my home was welcome - maybe it will make a nice lipstick holder!?


Each month there are 3-4 full sized Starlooks make up items in the box. This month the products were selected by Lauren Clark herself.



Inside the box was a lavender lipgloss, pale pink eyeliner, pink liquid blusher, and orange lip liner. I never would have picked up any of those pink items - pink eyeliner?! But it actually makes a great base for eye shadow. The pink blush in that formula is something I just would never have gone for, but again, it's wearable and I'm glad to have tried it. My favourite item in the box - and I would have bought this and would rebuy it now, is the lip liner - its so creamy and gorgeous!

So you're sent these make up items you never would have gone for - and then what? Where do you go from here?! In the information included there are a couple of face charts with ideas for how you can wear your new make up, with step by step tutorials. They do use other Starlooks products that aren't in the box, so if you wanted to follow it step by step you'd need to go on their site to see what kind of product it was and use something you already own that's similar.


I used the face charts as inspiration to create my own look with the products in the box.



Here I'm wearing the eyeliner as an eyeshadow base, the fluid blush and the lip gloss. I also made a video showing the products and swatches.



So.... what do you think of this idea? Is it the kind of thing you'd use or would you prefer a box with make up from different brands in?

You can find out more and subscribe at the Starlooks website
SHARE:

5 comments

  1. Really like the sound of this. Hopefully a company in the UK will catch on soon as I'm sure shipping will be pretty high.

    Jazzie x
    miniinstilettos.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lipliner sounds gorgeous! I dont think I'll be subscribing though as I have enough makeup as it is!

    Leanne @ Leanne-Marie | Beauty, fashion & lifestyle. x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finally a whole box of just make-up. Alice this would be a fab buisness idea for you, Im sure so many of us would buy a UK based beauty box and I love the pics of what to do with the make-up too.
    Thats exactly what I need, I have nice make-up but never exactly sure how to blend and put colours together...or not brave enough maybe. Those images are brilliant!
    Thanks for another great video hun.
    XxX

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the look this. Ideally I would like a box that contains just makeup but from different brands rather than just the one brand. I do get a little frustrated with Glossybox that they often appear to be skincare heavy and I would personally prefer them to swing slightly the other way towards more makeup. x

    thelittleblogofbeauty.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design Created by pipdig