TCP - A Word of Warning

It's probably a known fact to my readers that I have bad skin. I suffer from spots and am always on the look-out for products that will help me, either to stop me getting them in the first place (miracle product I am still yet to find), or something that will help them to go away faster, once they appear.

My best friend swears by TCP for her spots. A dab onto her spot and bedtime and she thinks it reduces healing time. I followed her lead, after all, its £1 something from Boots, was worth a try - and I have to say I think it did help.

For those that don't know what TCP is, it's a Liquid Antiseptic Original which may be used to treat sore throats, mouth ulcers, cuts, grazes, bites, stings, boils, spots and pimples and it looks like this


I usually dab some on to a cotton wool pad, then on to the spot, and it helps to dry it out and stop it from reforming.

On this occasion I had a particularly bad spot, and a particularly busy week, so it was vital that the spot went as soon as possible. Thinking that it would help to get the product into my skin, I held the cotton wool pad onto my chin for about 10 minutes. I could feel it tingling and was thinking "yay, it's working!".  As I was laying in bed I could feel my chin kind of pulsing and again thought this was a good sign. It wasn't until morning when I looked in the mirror that I realised I had burnt off half of my chin!


It has been so painfully sore, weepy and disgusting, I want to make sure no one else ever makes the same mistake as me. Please, if you're going to use TCP for spots (which I still will as I think it works so well, but very lightly!) don't ever ever ever hold it on there for longer than a couple of seconds.

I have been popping Arnica like it's going out of fashion in the hopes it heals quickly, and just praying it doesn't scar!
SHARE:

21 comments

  1. Oh you poor thing. That looks so sore! I hope it heals soon x

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, I did the EXACT SAME THING!
    It still works wonders I must admit.
    I used it with a q-tip dabbing MASSIVE amounts, woke up to a BURNT CHEEK, later that day its dried up into a scab and as it flaked off the next night it revealed a CLEAR PATCH.
    I was RELIEVED............
    Unfortunately it smell AWFUL, so a pretty good alternative is SAVALON.
    Or youu could also DILUTE the solution, (1-PART & TCP 4-PARTS WATER) as its known to PEEL LAYERS OF SKIN/BACTERIA.

    Update us and let us know how it went on. very intrigued....................<3
    xXx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use TCP, dabbing it onto spots with a Q-tip, and have only ever experienced fantastic results. The issue may be that you used to much or that you held it to your skin, overly saturating it. It is a very strong, alcohol based product and should be used sensitively.

    Still, that's awful that this happened to you!!! What was it like when it cleared up? Were you left with scarring?

    Naomi O x
    www.lipstickandloudmouths.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omg this has recently happened to me! I feel distgusting! please say the area healed up quickly? and that it didn;t scar:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg I think I just burn my chin what should I do?

      Delete
  5. TCP is amazing but if you use it right...
    You need to dilute it with water and the more sensitive your skin is the more water needed. When I use it for my mouth I only need about a cap full and the rest is water because it is that strong.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When you use TCP make sure you dilute it! It's super important to do this. Read the label before using as it always will say dilute before use. Don't be scares to use again honey, just add water then you'll be good to go:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just did this to my forehead about 5 weeks ago LOL its awful red & feels like leather and its bumpy . TCP antiseptic liquid burn try to fix one problem now I have a nightmare. I am using Aloe Vera & Calendula cream but progress so slow. Anyone know off any non comedogenic cream that would heal redness & infection ?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I use Sudocrem on spots. The zinc in it helps to heal spots and blemishes without scarring.

    ReplyDelete
  9. did anyone still have a scar??? I soaked cotton wool in TCP and left it over night on my pimple and now my face was flaky and then the flakes came off and now it is red sore. any remedies ??

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you have picked at the spot and created an open wound then no, it is not a good idea to apply non-diluted TCP... However applying TCP to skin that is not broken is perfectly fine (though maybe sensitive skin should also use diluted)
    It is never a good idea to pick acne! Picking opens wounds and creates repeat infections & unhealthy skin.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The ultimate way to get rid of spots, naturally and safely, is to use propolis ointment from bees. Chainbridge Honey make it, it comes in a small pot, it's amazing for spots!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It should be diluted- good for sore throats- diluted.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. In fact your creative writing abilities has inspired me to start my own BlogEngine blog now. Really the blogging is spreading its wings rapidly. Your write up is a fine example of it.สเปรย์กันน้ำยี่ห้อไหนดี

    ReplyDelete
  14. that's right it does mention on the bottle that TCP should be diluted on the skin. don't apply it. straight from the bottle. as it will burn the skin. it's like paint stripper. so yes always dilute it. with 1 part water & solution. so in general let that be a listen to you. it's very strong ?

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Diluted with water and use cotton wool to dab the areas of skin you want to clean. Undiluted GDP is very very strong. It has a powerful smell too. It is a wonder medicine which I have used personally for every injury I have sustained. It really works. Just future it to one cspful per cup of warm water or it will act like sulphuric acid.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anti Dandruff - Head and shoulders has zinc which helps to heal spots, as does Sudocreme.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I couldn’t think what I had done to my spot to cause a burn shape - thanks for posting this as I was getting really worried. Will avoid TCP on my face in future.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes just burnt my finger as sore round fingernail so soaked it in next tcp . Never again 😖😖😖

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design Created by pipdig